If you’re anything like us here at Mishka, you probably add a little flavor to your recreational activities with the occasional bong hit or magic brownie. As 2008 comes to a close, we look back at a few of our Favorite Things to Get Stoned To. You’ll find a little bit of everything in this list, from music and movies to sports and munchies. Oh, and of course it wouldn’t be a stoner’s list if it didn’t lack rhyme and reason, so pay no attention to the hierarchy of this list. It’s more scattered than a pothead’s to-do list.
1. Working in the creative field, it’s easy to sneak a little reefer into the work schedule, assuming it doesn’t render you a crippled weed zombie. There’s nothing like sitting down with a one-hitter and sketchbook, only to realize three hours later that you’ve been drawing aliens, eyeballs and monstrous mushrooms. Some of you may wonder where we find the inspiration for our t-shirt graphics, and we’d be lying if a few of them weren’t floating around in the bottom of the bong, waiting to be pulled through like a massive hit.
2. It’s hard to deny the irresistible nature of a puppy staring back at you or the curious antics of a kitten, so the growing abundance of cute animal clips on the internet have proven their worth in regards to mindless online entertainment while stoned out of my gourd. At this point, I’m sure most people are aware of LOLCats, but if you really wanna get on that next level shit, I suggest searching for “guinea pig baths” on YouTube.
3. In the last two weeks, I’ve reconsidered revising this list to exclude my next selection, but I’m going to remain optimistic that the Giants will turn things around as the season winds down. While the last two weeks have been agonizing to watch, I can’t deny that eleven weeks worth of victories have been great to watch. It’ll be heartbreaking if the Giants don’t make it to the Superbowl again, but regardless, watching them win almost every week has given me good reason to spend my Sundays stoned and planted to the couch.
4. Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim have carved out a niche for themselves as the go-to source for bizarre, captivating and often times disturbing entertainment. Now in the third season of TAEAS, GJ!, Tim & Eric have managed to develop their strange blend of characters into more than just awkward humor but a satirical bite at popular mainstream entertainment. Jim & Derrick keep it real for y’all in Season 3 with mad sketches to get you totally hype. Don’t forget the hot chicks. COMEDY. SKETCHED!
5. It may have been the Strawberry Cough I smoked before hand, but seeing My Bloody Valentine perform at Roseland Ballroom during this years reunion tour was everything I imagined and hoped for since the tour was announced months prior. The show was like being wrapped snugly in a warm blanket of sound for an hour and a half. The sound live was as mind altering as a hit off gravity bong, and in conjunction it was like a trip to the 4th dimension.
6. Pineapple Express may have shined a new light on what can be done with a stoner comedy, but Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly delivered non-stop laughs with Step Brothers. This film was a return to form for Ferrell and the chemistry between Reilly and him is fantastic. Over the course of the last five years or so, John C. Reilly has built a loyal fan base that recognized his comedic genius, but it’s here in Step Brothers that he truly gets to shine for a mainstream audience. I was more concerned with how Will Ferrell would hold up against Reilly, especially after being severely disappointed in his last string of movies, but he plays the part of man-child perfectly. Do yourself a favor and rent Step Brothers. Oh yeah, don’t forget the doobage.
7. Listening to music is an obvious selection for Top 10 things to enjoy while stoned, but this list isn’t about stating the obvious. Unlike choosing a particular film to make the list, I couldn’t just settle on one album that really stood above everything else. Therefore, the honors go to two outstanding mixes, which are both coincidentally mixed by friends of ours. Catchdubs’ “Radio Friendly Unit Shifter Mix” and the Paper Route Gangstaz’ “Fear and Loathing in HuntsVegas” managed to stay on heavy rotation both in and out of the office this year. It was impossible to choose the best of 90’s alternative over one of this past years best new hip-hop groups, so pick your poison ’cause either mix will keep you packing the pipe and wanting more.
8. After graduating from college and entering the real world, I came to the conclusion that wake ‘n bakes weren’t the best way to start my day, unless it was the weekend. Pair that up with brunch and you’ve got a recipe for a morning well spent, especially if you’re a little bent up from the night before. Medical marijuana really does work wonders on nausea and a heaping omelette doesn’t hurt!
9. As 2008 comes to a close, one surefire source of endless entertainment while in the zone would be sitting in front of the television and watching basic cable. On many occasions this year I’ve had the pleasure of coming home beyond late-night and seeing Tom Tom Club’s “Genius of Love” video, Yellow Magic Orchestra perform live on Soul Train, and countless episodes of the always entertaining “Total Package” on Brooklyn Cable T.V. Forget about the Hills or whatever trashy reality series you’ve been glued to. When we burn, we burn budget and keep it local, getting high with BCAT in the background.
10. As this list winds down I realized something was missing, but I couldn’t quite figure it out. Then I realized what I’d overlookedâ€¦ THE TENTH BEST THING TO GET STONED TO IN 2008! I suppose that’s what happens when you try writing a best of list for things to do while high on the pots.
Based out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Mishka is a street wear brand that references any and all things that its creators have been inspired by: the underground punk/hardcore/post-hardcore and skate scenes of the 80’s, heavy metal 7â€ indie rock, horror, comics, B-movies and pop culture in general. In the end, just as it was in the beginning, anything goes with Mishka.
With the success of Mishka’s graphic T-shirts, the brand was able to expand its line to a full collection ranging from denim, outerwear, knits, sweatshirts and accessories that are available worldwide at only the finest of shops.